Video of the Day
There is nothing like watching the magic of a hummingbird feeding just off your porch. Hummingbirds feed on nectar and insects, so the best way to attract these little birds is to provide a suitable food source. Planting red flowers will draw them to your yard. Hummingbirds are the main pollinators of red flowers because bees do not see them very well. Another option to draw hummingbirds into your yard is to hang a nectar feeder. While nectar is available commercially, it is just as easy to make at home and, in many cases, a healthier option for the hummingbirds.
Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Measure 4 cups of boiling water and pour into a large mixing bowl.
Add 1 cup granulated sugar and stir until sugar completely dissolves. Place the mixture into the refrigerator to cool overnight.
Take apart your hummingbird feeder following the instructions. Thoroughly wash and rinse the feeder to remove any debris. Pour the cooled nectar into the feeder tank and hang the feeder outside. Change the nectar every three days or when empty. Clean the feeder before adding new nectar. Store remaining nectar in the refrigerator until needed.
Items you will need
- Measuring cup
- Granulated sugar
- Mixing bowl
- Hummingbird feeder
- 💡 When choosing a feeder, look for ones that are easy to assemble. This will make regular changes and cleaning easier. Choose a feeder with red flowers and insect guards to better attract the hummingbirds.
- 💡 To make more or less nectar, follow the basic recipe ratio of four parts water to one part sugar.
- ⚠ Do not add red food coloring to the mixture. The dyes in the coloring can cause kidney issues in the hummingbird. A red feeder will provide enough color to attract the hummingbirds.
- ⚠ Do not use honey, brown sugar or artificial sweeteners as these may lead to health issues.
- Dynamic Graphics Group/Dynamic Graphics Group/Getty Images